Wednesday 6 January 2021

Guest Interview: Tej Turner

In a rare break from the regular anime reviews and exceedingly irregular writing news, let's get 2021 off on the right footing with something a bit different.  I first met Tej Turner at Fantasycon the year before last - or rather, I'm pretty certain we'd met no end of times before that, but that was the first occasion we properly got talking.  Since Tej is a lovely bloke and I knew where to find edible takeaway food in the near vicinity, we hung out a fair bit, but I don't recall getting much into his writing career, since I'm far too ill-mannered to ask all the regular questions you're supposed to ask in these situations.  Well, I'm addressing that right now!  Tej has a new book out, titled Bloodsworn, and what better time to pick his brains on the subject?  And, um, inquire about his tastes in anime?

-oOo-

- You've mentioned that your first two novels were semi-biographical.  Is that a common approach for you?  How much of yourself and your own life experiences would you say goes into your books?

I think that, to a certain extent, I'm always putting a part of myself into my characters (even if for some of them it is only a very small part), and I often write from what I know, drawing upon my own experiences.

I won't go into too many details here, but I didn't have the easiest childhood, and those two novels were part of a cathartic process for me dealing with that. None of the characters in them were completely me, but lots of the things they went through were inspired by events that happened to me during my youth. By writing the novel in such a way – using personal stories about myself, but warping them, and projecting them through fictional characters whilst entwining them with fiction, some of my dreams, nightmares, and a bit of surrealism – I was able to exorcise some of my personal demons whilst not exposing too much about myself and maintaining a certain amount of psychic distance.

I'm glad I wrote them that way, but I'm not sure if I will ever write novels of that nature again. I penned them when I was young and experimenting with different methods of writing, and I reached the catharsis I needed at that time. My adult years, in comparison, have been both much more stable and enjoyable.

- You describe those first two books as coming of age novels; were there opportunities in writing younger protagonists that would have been missing with older characters?  Were there ways in which it felt like a restriction?

It's certainly true that one cannot cover the full spectrum of the human condition by writing coming-of-age stories alone, but I've never claimed to have achieved such a thing (I don't think any single writer can). It was just what I wanted to write at that time and it was appropriate for those two novels. My latest novel (Bloodsworn, soon to be released) does also feature some youthful characters, but also several adult narrators too.

One thing I realised recently is that one of the themes which repeatedly occurs in my writing (whether I'm composing weird urban fantasy, epic fantasy, or some other sub-genre) is protagonists who are, whilst young, somewhat older than their years through circumstance, and I think that, just because a book is mostly told through young protagonists, that doesn't mean it doesn't contain adult themes. And it certainly doesn't mean it is not an adult novel. I think that, after the YA phenomenon happened, it became a label people felt inclined to throw at almost anything with a young protagonist, despite a huge amount of the adult epic fantasy before that term being coined featuring focal characters who were coming of age.

- You're extremely well-travelled, and obviously that's been a huge part of your life.  What have those experiences contributed to your writing?  Would you encourage other writers to do the same if they can?

Yes, it certainly has. Travelling has not only exposed me to many different cultures, climates, and landscapes, but I think it also informs my writing.

I have first-hand experience of a lot of things that will be familiar to readers of fantasy. I know what it's like to live in a jungle – without electricity and other modern comforts of the first world – and I've made long journeys through some of the world's highest mountain ranges, where I've suffered altitude sickness and been lost in the snow. I know what it's like to suddenly find oneself in a land which feels very strange, where no one speaks your language, and had to get by whilst crossing cultural divides as an outsider. I have even visited parts of the world that are quite lawless and had my life come into danger.

That said, I wouldn't say that you cannot write about these things without experiencing them; that's what research is for. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I would recommend everyone to travel, for a whole host of reasons beyond enriching one's writing. Travelling broadens your horizons (beyond the literal sense), opens up your mind, and gives you a better understanding of how the world works. It exposes you not only to different places but, if you do it the right way, different ways of living, and, most importantly, different ways of thinking.

Although, I do also understand that travelling isn't possible for everyone. Not necessarily because of money, as it doesn't have to be as expensive as a lot of people believe (at least not the way I do it). A lot of people are not fortunate enough to be able to travel due to a whole host of other reasons, such as health, commitments, or, most commonly, which part of the world they were born in.

One thing I do want to put out there is this; if you are from the first world and thinking about going backpacking through less developed countries, there are some moral implications you should make yourself aware of. You should understand that you are, in a sense, taking advantage of a worldwide monetary system that is unfair, because you're venturing to places in which – by some rigging of the system most of us don't understand – your money suddenly becomes worth more and goes further. I don't think this should necessarily stop people travelling – because cultural exchange is mostly beneficial to world society and travellers inject much-needed money into growing economies – it is just something you should be conscious of so that you understand how important it is that you behave appropriately.

 - Your bio mentions that, amid your travels, you spent time volunteering at the Merazonia Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre.  That sounds like an amazing experience?

Yes, it was. When I said that I've lived in the jungle without electricity and other such things, that was one such occasion. I spent almost two months at Merazonia, and whilst a lot of it was hard work – and sometimes heart-breaking – it was also very rewarding. I was most often placed on duties that involved caring for primates, as they had a pair of baby woolly monkeys which needed babysitting, as well as a group of older ones they were preparing for release, along with a mischievous gang of capuchins. They had all kinds of other animals there, including tamarins, kinkajous, sloths, howler monkeys, a puma, and many tropical birds, all of which I helped care for at some point.

I've written a more in-depth account of my time at Merazonia, which can be found on my travelblog by clicking here. There are also links on that page to more information about them as an organisation if anyone reading this is tempted to volunteer there too or help them in other ways.

- You write both fantasy and sci-fi, but so far your novels have leaned toward the former.  Will we see a Tej Turner SF novel one of these days?

I didn't think of myself as an SF author until Elsewhen Press (my publisher) pointed out to me that The Janus Cycle (and its sequel Dinnusos Rises) featured time travel.

I think that urban fantasy as a genre is one which blends fantasy and science fiction so seamlessly that it's not always glaringly obvious that they've been combined.

I'm not sure if I'll ever write anything which is purely science fiction though. I like magic too much. Also, as someone who identifies Pagan – with animist beliefs and somewhat mystic leanings – my idea of reality is probably somewhat different from the post-Enlightenment materialism which pervades much of the consciousness of western contemporary culture. So, I have a feeling that, even if I one day write something purely futuristic, it will still contain elements that others will perceive as 'fantastical'.

I am currently writing a novel which is based on a world which is tidally locked – as in, one side of it is permanently faced to the sun, whilst the other is always dark – and I had to do a lot of research into astrophysics for it. That said, the people of the story (who live in the belt in the middle of the planet where it's constantly twilight) are in a mediaeval(ish) society, and thus have no idea that their cosmological alignment is somewhat strange and are unlikely to be building any spaceships soon. Does that count as science fiction?

 - Something I've been thinking about a lot this year, with so much going so visibly wrong, is whether my writing can be a useful force.  Is that an issue you've wrestled with?  Or is it okay to just be making the world a little less gloomy by entertaining people?

I think that fantasy and science fiction can be both escapist and culturally introspective, and most books are both of those things at the same time. My first two novels were deeply political (particularly Dinnusos Rises, which featured a grassroots activist movement rising up to incite societal change) as well as inclusive, featuring many characters who are LGBTQ and/or victims of social injustice.

My new epic fantasy series (being non-contemporary and somewhat less biographical) is a little more escapist in nature but has some political themes. One of the main protagonists is gay, and I channelled some of my own experiences of confronting prejudice into his thread of the story.

I don't believe there's such a thing as an 'unpolitical novel'; even by attempting to write such a thing one is making a political choice, and I can guarantee that, when such novels are put under a magnifying glass, certain views and prejudices of the author will be revealed through the choices they've made concerning the characters, events, setting, and themes.

 - I know one thing that we have in common is a fondness for older anime; care to pick a favourite?  And has anything recent caught your attention?

Yes, I started watching anime at an early age. I think I was about ten. This was way before the days of Pokรฉmon (something that never resonated with me) and the anime industry in the UK was very niche back then. You could only really get hold of VHSs by ordering them through catalogues, because most shops didn't even stock them. Some of the most notable ones during my early fandom were Bio-Booster Armour Guyver, Akira, Genocyber, and Ghost in the Shell. Also, Laputa Castle in the Sky, as I was much more inclined to Studio Ghibli than Disney.

I think my favourite anime of all time is Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've watched it dozens of times, but there is such a vast ocean of subtext that I still to this day notice new details which bring new revelations with each viewing. The story of its production is an interesting one too: Hideaki Anno – its creator – had a nervous breakdown halfway through making it and, instead of giving up, chose to project everything he was feeling into the series. Its concluding film, The End of Evangelion, is a work of art, and for a large segment of it, it very much feels like the veil between narrative and Anno's psyche has been peeled away, and he's let his raw feelings about the human condition be laid bare. It is a masterpiece.

Some titles I've enjoyed during more recent years include; Claymore, Death Note, Children of the Whales, Attack on Titan, and Rwby.

 - Tell me a little about your upcoming novel Bloodsworn ... what's in there that perhaps readers might not have come across before?

It is a novel which will initially seem familiar to most readers. It begins like many of its ilk do – with a handful of youngish characters from the backwaters of a medieval secondary world – but the story takes a surprisingly grim turn when they receive the call to adventure, and from there veers in a direction that is much darker than most readers will initially expect. Like much of my writing, it is quite gritty. I don't want to say too much about it here because doing so would ruin the surprise. Its blurb (which can be read here) is a good introduction, and it's spoiler-free. ๐Ÿ˜Š

 - What was the genesis of the series?  Was there a particular idea that everything else grew out of?

I grew up reading epic fantasy, so it was only natural that I would one day want to write it myself and do it my own way. I'm not sure if there was any singular idea it grew from, more a plethora of them, and there are way too many to mention them all. Some are probably subconscious and I'm not even aware of them.

I think it was the characters that I dreamt up first; both their relationships with each other and their individual stories were the initial skeleton with which I filled in everything else. And as always, I channelled some of my life experiences, both from my childhood and my adventures overseas.

Doubtless, much of what I've read over the years has inspired me, but I think other mediums have had an influence on me for this particular project too. Such as all the anime I mentioned earlier; that seems to have bled through quite heavily, as the world of Bloodsworn is filled with lots of strange mutant creatures, and some of its characters gain metamorphic abilities during the story.

 - I notice that the publisher page for Bloodsworn has both a map and a family tree of divinities!  Would you say you doubled down on the world-building for this one?

Yes, you could say that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

One of the biggest pleasures in writing medieval fantasy for me lies within constructing a believable world. It's not enough to merely draw a map, but it's a good place to start. Once you have a terrain, you can look at it and consider how the people who dwell within it have been shaped by their geography. The cultural setting is just as important as a physical one, and a world filled with historical nuance will always be more believable.

Something else I did concerning the worldbuilding of this series – which is probably a little unusual for medieval fantasy – is that I made the world somewhat cosmologically different to our own. It has three moons, which made for all sorts of consequences concerning things such as its tides and calendar. Seafaring is an activity people seldom risk there, and they mark their days in 'aeights' (eights) rather than weeks, and their years are longer. I often do such things when I create second worlds (even when they're historic ones) because I find it a bit odd that epic fantasy seems almost exclusively filled with worlds that just so happen to be astronomically identical to our own, with one moon, regular seasons, twenty-four hour days, and 365 of them each year.

-oOo-

For those who'd like to know a little more about Bloodsworn, here's the blurb...

Bloodsworn: Book I of The Avatars of Ruin series

  Everyone from Jalard knew what a bloodoath was. Legendary characters in the tales people told to their children often made such pacts with the gods. By drawing one's own blood whilst speaking a vow, people became 'Bloodsworn'.

   And in every tale where the oath was broken, the ending was always the same. The Bloodsworn died.

It has been twelve years since The War of Ashes, but animosity still lingers between the nations of Sharma and Gavendara, and only a few souls have dared to cross the border between them.

The villagers of Jalard live a bucolic existence, nestled within the hills of western Sharma and far away from the boundary which was once a warzone. To them, tales of bloodshed seem no more than distant fables. They have little contact with the outside world, apart from once a year when they are visited by representatives from the Academy who choose two of them to be taken away to their institute in the capital. To be Chosen is considered a great honour… of which most of Jalard's children dream.

But this year the Academy representatives make an announcement which is so shocking it causes friction between the villagers, and some of them begin to suspect that all is not what it seems. Just where are they taking the Chosen, and why? Some of them intend to find out, but what they discover will change their lives forever and set them on a long and bloody path to seek vengeance…

“Classic epic fantasy. I enjoyed it enormously”
Anna Smith Spark

And here's Tej's bio...

Tej Turner has spent much of his life on the move and he does not have any particular place he calls 'home'. For a large period of his childhood, he dwelt within the Westcountry of England, and he then moved to rural Wales to study Creative Writing and Film at Trinity College in Carmarthen, followed by a master's degree at The University of Wales Lampeter.

After completing his studies, he moved to Cardiff, where he works as a chef by day and writes by moonlight. He is also an intermittent traveller who every now and then straps on a backpack and flies off to another part of the world to go on an adventure. So far, he has clocked two years in Asia and a year in South America. He hopes to go on more and has his sights set on Central America next. When he travels, he takes a particular interest in historic sites, jungles, wildlife, native cultures, and mountains. He also spent some time volunteering at the Merazonia Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre in Ecuador, a place he hopes to return to someday.

Bloodsworn is his third published novel. His debut novel The Janus Cycle was published by Elsewhen Press in 2015, followed by his sequel Dinnusos Rises in 2017. Both of them were described as 'gritty and surreal urban fantasy'. He has also had short stories published in various anthologies.

He keeps a travelblog on his website, where he also posts author-related news.

No comments:

Post a Comment