Thursday 24 March 2016

My Eastercon 2016 Schedule...

...is short but sweet.  I'm on the one panel early on Friday afternoon, which is nice because it bunches the work stuff right at the start and leaves me the rest of the weekend to chill out.  Also, that panel is on a subject particularly dear to my heart these days, as I increasingly come to discover just what neat tricks and surprises you can pull off when you really plan your story through from the start.

Anyway, here it is.  If you're at Mancunicon this weekend then please do come along and listen to me inadvertently spoiler books I haven't even finished yet!

Twisting the Story
Friday 14:30 - 16:00, Room 8 & 9
 Intrigue! Betrayal! Revelation! All these options and more are available to the writer looking to take their story up a notch. But what is the key to making a good twist work, and work as SF or fantasy? Is it primarily a question of making the reader care about a character? Is it about managing and playing with the reader's expectations, particularly in those stories which draw on established structures, such as a heist or a procedural? Is it about the logical but unexpected implication of the speculative setting? Or is it something else entirely?
With: Gillian Redfearn, Susan Bartholomew, Charles Stross and Chris Wooding.

No comments:

Post a Comment